If you go online to make a restaurant reservation and you can’t find anything around the time in which you are interested, call the restaurant. Chances are you may get a reservation. WW’s experience is that at least one out of three times, there are reservations available via the phone that are not available online.
From a WW reader, Albert Oehrle
“When I hear ‘Great question’, it means to me that the interviewee needs a little time to think about an answer, if only enough to comment on how great the question is.”
As of November 2020, there were 47 unique, individual parties across the country with 225 state-level-ballot-qualified political party affiliates nationwide.
Some parties are recognized in multiple states. For example, the Democratic and Republican parties are recognized in all 50 states and Washington, DC. These two parties are 102 of the 225 total state-level parties.
Three minor parties were recognized in more than 10 states as of November 2020.
- Libertarian Party – 35 states
- Green Party – 22 states
- Constitution Party – 15 states
“When ideas go unexamined and unchallenged for a long enough time, they become mythological and very, very powerful. They create conformity. They intimidate.”
“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”
“Instead of getting ‘back to normal, ’we have settled into a ‘new normal’ of deep polarization and dysfunctional governing.”
“We need to be informed for freedom – give the tools of judgement and character and habit to use your freedom responsibly and effectively. Such formation for freedom is a key part of what our institutions are for, starting with the family and spreading outward to the institutions through which we work, learn. Worship, govern, and otherwise organize ourselves.”
A Time to Build, p. 63-64
George Washington’s Rules of Civility
Written when he was just 14 years old, the rules were drawn from an English translation of a French book of maxims.
- When in company, put not your hands to any part of the body, not usually discovered.
- Show nothing to your friend that may affright him.
- Put not off your clothes in the presence of others nor go out your chamber half dressed
- Spit not in the fire, nor stoop low before it. Neither put your hands into the flames to warm them, nor set your feet upon the ire, especially if there be meat before it.
- Turn not your back to others especially in speaking; jog not the table or desk on which another reads or writes, lean not upon anyone.
- Let your countenance be pleasant, but in serious matters somewhat grave.
[Thanks to Joel Jankowsky for providing this list]
Quotes by Mother Teresa
“Some people come in our life as blessings. Some come in our life as lessons.”
“If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.”
“A life not lived for others is not a life.”
“I prefer you to make mistakes in kindness than work miracles in unkindness.”
“Love is a fruit in season at all times and with reach of every hand.”
Now that I’m Older
- I don’t mean to brag, but I finished my 14-day diet food supply in 3 hours and 20 seconds.
- I love approaching 83, I learn something new every day and forget 5 other things.
- It’s weird being the same age as old people.
- Marriage Counselor: Your wife says you never buy her flowers. Is that true? Me: To be honest, I never knew she sold flowers.
- You don’t realize how old you are until you sit on the floor and then try to get back up.